Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Networking and GnuPG

Two things to report today: some networking tonight and an interview with a staffing company for tomorrow.

I went to the CALUG (Columbia Area Linux User Group) meeting tonight. At this meeting, like last night's, was a recruiter! (A different recruiter from a different company.) The main topic of the meeting was GnuPG, but we talked with the recruiter first about a challenge that she had: interviewing and identifying competent Linux administrators.

Vetting a Linux administrator (or a Unix administrator) is easy... if you are an experienced administrator. If you're not, then the problem is quite hard. Various folks had suggestions. The recruiter was hoping to come up with a list of questions for candidates. This method has two problems: administration is general and some questions may not apply in some cases, and a candidate can easily answer a question and fool the questioner (unless they are an administrator).

Tomorrow I interview at Tricom, a small staffing company in Crofton. They e-mailed me this morning about a local position which requires VB.NET; I sent them a response with the good/bad matches to my skills; they want to see me tomorrow. I have the time, so off I will go! If anything, the interview will be good practice. (The position is local which is nice, and connected to the University of Maryland which may give me some good connections, but it uses VB.NET which I have never used, and has no (apparent) connection to web development. An interview should provide more information.)

No comments:

Post a Comment