Thursday, July 30, 2009

Javascript experiments part 1

I experimented with Javascript this morning. The "Javascript Missing Manual" explains the language and the concepts clearly and with meaningful examples. (I'm using the ACM's connection to O'Reilly Safari for the on-line version of the book. I prefer paper books but on-line at least allows for copy and paste of code samples.)

So far, I've learned a bit about Javascript. Read that as "made errors and then figured out what was wrong". I learn only from my mistakes, so the more mistakes the more I learn!

I'm using KWrite as an editor and Opera as the browser. I'm not concerned about browser compatibility since I am using jQuery and it handles most of the browser issues. I'm not too fond of KWrite though; I would prefer an editor with better syntax highlighting.

In other news, a recruiter from ManPower called last yesterday with an opening for what they called a senior architect. I looked at the job description that they sent via e-mail and am not quite sure what to call it. The hiring company (I think that it is Lexis/Nexis) wants a person with strong technical skills, strong project management skills, and strong presentation and mentoring skills. The recruiter told me that the position was in either Cary, NC or in a city (I forget the name) Ontario.

The recruiter called back an hour later and asked if I had reviewed the description and the questions accompanying it, and also indicated that this was an urgent item. I promised a response by this morning, and she seem satisfied if a little disappointed.

I'm not too keen on recruiters playing the "urgent" card, especially when they don't really know the candidate. I'm guessing that an "urgent" position has been handed out to several firms and they are running to find candidates quickly. A brief search of the web showed that there were several job postings with selected text identical to Manpower's description.

I understand that staffing companies compete, and that they need to supply candidates before the other guy. I think the last minute scramble to search the web job boards, quickly identify candidates with scripted questions, vet them with a senior recruiter, and possibly place them before a hiring company is a poor use of time and resources. It certainly wastes my time, and I can't see it making the recruiters any friends. It sends the message "you are a commodity that we happen to have a need for right now, and we'll take advantage of that, but after this opportunity we're not really interested in talking with you".

Maybe this is the result of the "hiring company pays" model. Since I'm not paying, than I am the commodity.

No comments:

Post a Comment