Thursday, May 28, 2009

Web technologies

I successfully configured Apache, PHP, and MySQL on the //grendel server today. (And FTP, but that is a different thread.) With those three in place, I was able to add some data to a database, generate dynamic web pages, and serve them to a different computer running a web browser. It took a few tries, but not too many. I had done this once before, when //grendel ran SuSE Linux, but lost a lot when I converted it to Ubuntu Linux. This time was much easier, possibly because I was familiar with the territory, or possibly because the Ubuntu distro does more work for you. (I think it is the former.)

The next step is to generate some database entries from //mylene, a computer that I can use for analyzing source code. When I can generate data on one computer, send it to the server and store it, and then access the data from a third computer, I will have a true client/server arrangement.

I talked with two staffing companies today. One had set up a technical phone screen with a client; they called and asked to reschedule due to meetings. I have an interview with the second company tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment