Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Installing Fedora Linux 10

I spoke/e-mailed with three recruiters yesterday. One had a position with a good skills match but in Virginia, on the far side of Washington. The other positions were closer but not good matches with skills.

In addition to the recruiters I hit my "Tuesday set" of the on-line job boards. I updated my resume on monster.com and careerbuilder.com, and reviewed the jobs on a few other sites.

One of my former co-workers accepted my invitation on LinkedIn. Yay! my network grows!

I installled the drives and IDE cables in //delilah and //delwood. Some quick tests show that everything works. (I did have to reconfigure the DVD and CD readers on //delwood, which were both configured for "cable select". Setting one to "master" and the other to "slave" fixed the problem.)

I downloaded and installed Fedora Linux 10 on //deliliah. The download took two hours; I used my lunch hour to let that work happen and read How Would You Move Mount Fuji? in a local park. The install was very easy! Total time was perhaps twenty minutes. Fedora Linux identified hardware and set the network configuration without prompting me.

I like the look at feel of Fedora Linux 10. It uses Gnome, so the look is quite different from SuSE Linux (which uses KDE) and almost identical to Ubuntu (which uses Gnome).

Today I have already reviewed an article on job sites from Network World. It listed a number of job sites, many of which were new to me. I will visit them later this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment