Thursday, May 14, 2009

Linux is not my friend today

I used the Linux Bootable Business Card (BBC) to rescue files from the SuSE 10.2 inflicted //grendel. The BBC booted and mounted the drive with no problems. I created an NFS share on //desdemona and copied the Subversion files to //desdemona for safekeeping. Once saved, I could replace all files on //grendel.

I spent most of today attempting to install Linux on //grendel, the Gateway E-3200 Pentium II 400 MHz system. Linux was not cooperating. SuSE Linux 10.2 has definite problems on this configuration and is unable to complete the installation process. Yesterday I upgraded from SuSE Linux 10.0 to 10.2 which failed with lock-up problems. Today I installed SuSE Linux 10.2 as a clean install, and the resulting system had lock-up problems.

I also tried Kubuntu Linux 9.04. This version installed but did not allow other packages to be installed (it demanded that I fork a process) and kept the screen at 800x600 resolution.

Ubuntu 8.10 is much happier on //grendel. It knows how to program the video card and can get updates.

Diagnosing a different problem, I found that the KVM switch has strange behavior when //delilah is attached and turned off. The KVM switch "locks" and will not change ports. It does allow all other keystrokes and mouce movements through. This is the first time I have seen a KVM switch act in this manner -- although I have seen other flakiness with other units. I believe that an external power supply may fix the problem.

I also found the "WordCamp" event here in Baltimore. "WordCamp" is a conference for blogging with Wordpress. This event is quite close -- within walking distance! The event was sold out; I added myself to the waiting list. have little hope for an opening, but if they have any business sense they will add me to a mailing list for the next event.

I also installed a new CPU heat sink bracket in //delwood. I will install Ubuntu 9.04 on //delwood tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment