Sunday, May 3, 2009

Web site, possible assignment, and hardware

I did quite a bit on Friday and Saturday.

I built a web site -- a simple one, with only static content -- and got a much better appreciation for the effort that goes into a web site. My web site (it's not public, so don't go looking for it) has four pages, limited to text and images. I built everything: the text, the images, and the HTML to lay out theose items. I created the text and HTML in Quanta, a package very similar to Allaire's Homesite. I created the image files (buttons, menubars, and others) in GIMP. It's amateur-grade, but not too far from some live sites I've seen.

I revised my resume, clarifying my objective (short-term web or sysadmin projects) and formatting it down to two pages.

I started negotiating (or perhaps "haggling" is the term) with a staffing company over an assignment in Virginia. The assignment is a good one but the distance is a bit far and the offered rate is a bit low.

After much deliberation, I ordered memory for three computers: grendel (the Gateway that runs Apache, PHP, MySQL, and Subversion), delwood (a "found" PC which can run Ubuntu), and delilah (another "found" PC).

I reviewed the "Digital Harbor" web site and found that it seemed ... out-dated. Is anyone updating the site? Several links to other sites are dead, including the designers of the Digital Harbor web site! I'm disappointed that the links are dead; they would be good networking opportunities. Most disturbing was a link to a blog be Geoff Snowman, a Microsoft .NET advocate. The blog stops in 2007, with no explanation. Is he still with Microsoft? Is he still alive? I don't know.

The VisionTech folks want me to take a C# evaluation on-line. I'm reading up on C# this week-end, before starting the test. So far, everything is familiar. I need to review the use of delagates; that's in a later chapter.

I attended the JHU Linux user group on Saturday. The organizer may have an opportunity; I will send him my resume.

Also on Saturday I went to a local street festival. Most of it was local artists, some of it was home-improvement companies, and of course food. There were some community groups; the one that interested me was a local business networking group. Another line on opportunities, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment