Monday, May 18, 2009

Progress with equipment

This morning I tested //grendel and the Apache web server with PHP. Ubuntu Linux 8.10 includes PHP version 5, which is a nice upgrade from the old version I was using. Apache and PHP work as expected, and now I must create some content to expand my knowledge of PHP.

I had lunch with former co-workers today. The restaurant was quite close to the local PC shoppe so I stopped there and picked up some used DVD drives. (This is the same place that I got the previous two DVD drives, one of which is not working. But for the super-cheap price, I won't complain.)

The DVD-reader went into //delwood, and I then installed SuSE Linux 11.1. The install worked without problems until the video configuration, at which the install died. But it apparently did enough, since re-starting the computer brought it up in graphics mode. Interestingly, //delwood has the same video problems as //desdemona (tooltray icons do not display, screen contains junk when switching users). This may be something in the frame buffer logic, or perhaps the two Dell units use the same video card.

The DVD-writer went into //delinea (a Dell Dimension 4600 which also needs CPU fan, memory, and hard drive). I think I can find all of those on the web.

I configured //delwood to have Xen and VirtualBox. Time to play with virtualization!

No comments:

Post a Comment