Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MySQL fights hard

Virtualization will wait until tomorrow. Today I worked with MySQL. I have it running on //grendel, but cannot access it from //desdemona. The two obvious causes (firewall or rights in MySQL) are not the problem. MySQL is running on Ubunti Linux 8.10 which has no firewall, and I added the user "root" for host "desdemona" and also all computers on my subnet. MySQL remains resolute -- no access from remote computers. (Thinking about it, I should try from other computers.)

A modest success was using NFS from //grendel. I had to install the "portmap" and "nfs-common" packages; once in place I could mount the NFS share and copy the Subversion files into place. Tomorrow I can configure Subversion and test access from remove computers. (Although I may have the same problem as MySQL.)

This evening I went to the BaltoLug user group meeting. I missed the April meeting, due to inconsistencies in the light rail operation. I left extra time tonight and had some time to visit the Borders bookstore and check out their computer books section. The "Heads First" book on web design seems reasonable. I wonder if it available on Safari?

No comments:

Post a Comment