Friday, May 8, 2009

Meetings and memory

Yesterday I took half the day for a doctor appointment. The appointment itself was short -- about thirty minutes -- but was timed inconveniently in the morning. The appointment was for 10:00, which means I had insufficient time to do anything meaningful before or after the appointment. (Business meetings have this effect too.)

I was more productive in the afternoon. I updated my LinkedIn profile, identified some local companies that may be good opportunities, and worked on the two "found" PCs. I found them in good condition but without memory, hard disks, or CD drives. I've scrounged some DVD drives and with the memory that arrived yesterday I could run some tests. One PC works without problems, the second shuts itself off after a few seconds. This problem is caused by a broken heat sink bracket, which can be replaced.

I also installed memory in //grendel (my server) and upgraded its OS from SuSE Linux 9.2 to version 10.0. The later version requires more memory and thus the upgrade had to wait for the RAM. Next I will upgrade it to version 10.3, which is a supported version. These upgrades should give me an updated PHP with support for sessions and let me learn more about PHP.

No comments:

Post a Comment