Monday, May 4, 2009

Hardware, knowledge, and interviews

Today I met my friends Larry and Glenn for lunch. On the way, I stopped by the Cyberguys shop and picked up some used (and hopefully operational) DVD readers. I needed two for the two "found" PCs.

At lunch I asked Larry to set up a meeting with a friend who runs a small company. It may be a good opportunity for me.

I spent some time reading Essential C# to brush up on things before taking the "Prove It!" evaluation for VisionTech. I read a few chapters each day; I'm up to chapter 12. Most things have been familiar; a few items for C# 2.0 were new to me.

I talked with some recruiters today, and have an interview with one of them tomorrow. I have two more recruiters to speak with tomorrow. I also sent my resume to Jason, who I met at the JHU Linux user group. And I responded to a couple of listings on CraigsList.

Getting back to hardware, I installed the DVD readers in the two PCs (called 'delilah' and 'delwood'). I must wait to test them, since the PCs still need memory and hard drives. Installing them was a little tricky: I had to remove the fancy front bezels for the DVD players; they did not fit with the Dell front panel. Also, one 'delilah' I had to fudge the install sliders. Apparently the GX240 uses three or four different sliders and the ones I need are not the ones that were left in the machine. I'm pretty sure that I can make do with the ones available, after I drill some new holes in the remaining sliders. Interestly, the 'delwood' PC (a Dimension 2350) does not use sliders at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment