Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I think I know C#

I finished reading Essential C# today. I'm pretty impressed with the brevity of the language. Like C, C++, and Java, most of the complexity is in the supporting libraries. For C, this was the run-time library. For C#, this is the .NET Framework. The C# language itself is a pretty good attempt at a language.

C# is not perfect. (Of course, language design is always a lightning rod for flame wars. These are my opinions.) I'm not happy with the attributes that C# uses to achieve certain notions; the syntax bothers me. I'm also unhappy with the amount of code required for multithreaded applications and exception handling. It seems "heavy" to me, bulkier that it need be. But I should limit my complaints: Java was somewhat harder, and C++ was much harder to understand. And while I enjoy the capabilities of Perl, it as a language sometimes drives me up the wall.

I took the Prove It evaluation for C#. This evaluation went well, in that I knew the answers to most questions. Some I had to guess at, mostly with specific classes in the .NET Framework.

I am happy with the ACM and their benefits. As a member, I get access to the online book library Safari. This library has a number of books (lots from O'Reilly) and is a good resource for anyone in the computing field. The ACM membership also includes Books24x7 and I think online classes; I have yet to try those resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment