Thursday, September 24, 2009

Windows 7(RC) allergic to KVM switch?

I experimented with Windows 7(RC) and the KVM switch this morning. When the SystemMax is the only computer attached to the KVM switch, Windows behaves consistently: it recognizes the keyboard but not the mouse.

I've replaced the mouse (with an old Microsoft mouse!), moved the KVM cable to a different port on the switch, and replaced the KVM cable. The behavior remains: Windows sees the keyboard but not the mouse.

I booted the SystemMax with Ubuntu Linux 9.04, keeping the hardware configuration. Ubuntu Linux finds the keyboard and mouse!

Which leaves the sole variable of Windows 7(RC). Is it doing something with the mouse that the KVM switch does not understand? The PS/2 port for the mouse and the communication protocol are old, and should be well-understood by everyone making equipment. I doubt that the KVM switch manufacturer got it wrong. (The KVM is a Starview SV411.) Let's see what the interweb says.

. . .

After some searches I can see other people have various problems with various configurations and various KVM switches. Some have Windows 7, others have other versions of Windows. Some have Starview KVM switches, others have other brands. The combination of Windows 7 and Starview did not occur with any great frequency. (Which doesn't give me information, or comfort.)

I will try the power supply for the KVM switch. (I want to see if that fixes the problem caused by the Dell GX240.) If that doesn't work, I can use the old Microsoft mouse on the Windows PC and use the KVM to switch only the keyboard and monitor.


No comments:

Post a Comment