Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recruiters and insurance

I spoke with several recruiters in the past few days. When they call I give them the news that I have accepted a position. All of them have been very good about the news. They have all spoken with me before.

I think that I have completed the "job search shutdown", going to job sites and marking resumes as hidden and disabling job alerts. The cybercoders.com web site had no way to mark resumes as hidden, so I removed the resume. The guru.com web site keeps sending me notices about projects; I may keep those coming to stay informed about tech requests.

A person from Constellation Energy called today, thinking that we had a technical screening interview. I gave him the news. While I had spoke with the recruiter last week, I guess that the news did not reach him. Somewhat embarrassing.

On another front, I have been debating medical insurance. I can subscribe through Prism (the contracting company for the OMB gig) or stay on the COBRA plan. The latter is expensive and ends in July 2010 (COBRA is good for only 18 months). The Prism-offered plan is also expensive and is not really set up for Maryland. It appears that I would be constantly "out-of-network".

A third option is to buy medical insurance from someone like United Health Care or Aetna. I looked at some plans and the also seem expensive. I don't understand all of the numbers, either. (I can, with a bit more studying.) Purchasing my own insurance may be the better choice for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment