Thursday, September 10, 2009

PHPmotion in test environment

I installed PHPmotion in my test environment today. Using my notes from the experiment on my development server, I put together a set of installation steps and performed them as I installed PHPmotion on //patricia. I had to make some adjustments as I went along, but that is usual for a new procedure.

I have Apache, PHP, PHPshield, and PHPmotion working on //patricia, mostly. The one thing that I need is an e-mail handler. PHPmotion wants to send e-mails for various events. One of them is to confirm that a new user really does exist. My test server (//patricia) has no e-mail handler.

I may be able to hack around the problem by adjusting entries in the database. PHPmotion probably has a flag for the user, indicating that the user has not verified their e-mail address. If it is a simple yes/no value then I should be able to change it manually and fake out PHPmotion. (The production system will need an e-mail server, though.)

I also learned about PHPmotion and its capabilities for translations. PHPmotion V2 allows you to configure it for one of a number of languages. (You pick a language and then everyone sees your site in that language.) PHPmotion V3 has no such capability; every page is in English. The producers have plans to allow users to select their language, but this feature is not available (nor is there an expected date).


No comments:

Post a Comment