Monday, September 21, 2009

Ruby in the morning

I did some work with Ruby this morning, extending the 'macron' program. I added capabilities for variable substitution, much like the macro expansion in bash or other shells. Nothing new in terms of the Ruby language or environment; this morning's work was using what I already knew and reinforcing my knowledge.

With today's changes, I can build the XML file for the Excel OOXML strings file. OOXML uses a number of files for Excel spreadsheets; one file holds the string entries and other files use indexes into this file.

The code is a bit rough. It works, but needs error checking.

I also spoke with a recruiter this morning, about a position in Pittsburgh. The client needs someone to test their client/server system on configurations with the new Windows Server. This position is not the best fit for me. I don't have experience with Windows Server, and I suspect that the client needs someone to examine their product and tune Windows Server for it.

I think that I talked myself out of the job. I'm not upset -- I would rather talk myself out of a job than land a job that is not a good match.


No comments:

Post a Comment