Thursday, September 24, 2009

Closer to a situation

I visited the good folks at Prism today and signed a bunch of papers. This act starts the process for the position at OMB. The next step is a background check, something can take up to four weeks. At least one trip into Washington will be necessary, for an in-person interview.

I feel pretty good about this opportunity. And I feel pretty good about finding it; I have built up my self-confidence. This blog started as the leap from a known position into the unknown, with faith that I would find something. While I have yet to land (much less check out the landing zone) I think that the exercise has been worth the fear, frustration, and doubt.

I am shutting down some activities. I have pulled my resume off of job boards (or marked it 'non-searchable'), turned off the e-mail alerts for job postings, and let some recruiters know that I am no longer looking. I have a few more recruiters to inform, and maybe some web pages to adjust.

I will keep some things going, though. I've joined Facebook, Twitter, and Identi.ca; they provide useful bits of news. (Won't be able to view them at the job, though.) I've joined some user groups for MSDN and Linux and would like to keep active in them. That may be tricky, given the timing and location of the meetings and my work and commute schedule.

I have a list of preparations for the job. Most items are logistical: train pass, metro pass, new shoes, and maybe a few new shirts. I can handle them in small batches.


No comments:

Post a Comment