Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dell 1, me 0

The replacement part for the Dell Dimension 4600 computer arrived today, just when Dell said it would.

I need the on-off switch and the cable that connects it to the motherboard.

I opened the box... and the part is the wrong part.

Dell shipped me the front panel USB port cage and the cable that connects them to the motherboard.

This is the part I ordered. That is, it is the part number I specified. I got that from the Dell technical support line.

The Dell web site was not helpful in locating this part. (If you have a part number, you can order it. If you don't know the part number, there is no way to find it.)

I could fight Dell and demand my money back. But I just don't have the energy for that debate. Instead, I will simply drop Dell down in the supplier list and consider someone like Asus for the next PC purchase.

In the meantime, I must re-consider my plan for running Windows. The idea was to install Windows on the Dell Dimension 4600. I hoped that the power switch would arrive today. I could order memory and a hard drive tonight and have them ready for me when I returned from a family visit this week-end.

Bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment