Monday, August 3, 2009

Web sites in multiple languages

After neeting with Ben last week, I started thinking about his idea. He wants a web site that provides news and serves people in several different countries. This means web pages in different languages.

My experience on the Worldship project at UPS is helpful here. I understand the general process of "translating" a web site (or application) into multiple languages.

Some quick searches on the web show that the gettext toolset will do the job nicely. As a bonus, gettext plugs in to PHP! (It's callable from Java and other languages too.)

After some reading of web sites, some consulting with the books I have on hand, and a little bit of thinking, I was ready. I took the static web page, pulled out some text strings, processed the string file with the gettext tools, added the logic in the web page to call gettext, and tried it.

It doesn't work.

I've checked that files are present in the proper directories, and contain the correct (or so I think) PHP commands. It seems to fail to find the messages.mo file.

Blah!

No comments:

Post a Comment