Thursday, August 13, 2009

More progress with Debian Linux

I installed MySQL on Debian Linux, created a database, and re-configured things to allow for remote access. (Out of the box, MySQL allows connections from the local host and no others.) It meant assigning //patricia (the host running Debian, Apache, PHP, and now MySQL) a static IP address. That went easier than I expected. It was the first time I configured a Linux host via console mode and text files; my previous experience has been with GUI programs like YaST.

Now I need to verify that PHP can talk to MySQL. (Do I have all of the right packages? Do the package installs do the right thing to configuration files?)

After that, I need a way to insert news stories into the MySQL database. Should I do something with newline characters? (I suppose that I should, as MySQL considers them significant in its scripts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment