Monday, March 2, 2009

Progress with Ruby

I've made some progress with Ruby. For a project such as this one (my H-89 simulator) progress is sometimes slow, since I have much to learn about the technology *and* the task. I move forward, realize that the direction is not quite right, and move back. I did a little of that with the latest set of changes.

My path lead me to create some classes to abstract different types of numbers: DecimalNumber, OctalNumber, SplitOctalNumber, and HexNumber. These are the numbers that I must parse and print in various utilities (assembler, disassembler, binary loader, etc.). After exploring the capabilities of Ruby, I saw that the built-in formatting of Ruby handles the formatting and I did not need separate classes. So, out they classes came!

The exercise gave me some experience with Subversion. I used the "delete" options to remove files and directories in the Subversion database. (The files and directories are there, should I want to go back to that specific revision, but they are not in the current set. This is a nice change from the file-based SourceSafe and PVCS that I have used.)

My explorations have lead me to code blocks and procs. I understand the concept; I need to work with Ruby a little more to fully grasp the proper implementation. It's frustrating. I've been able to absorb new programming concepts quickly. My last difficult challenge was pointers in C, which was many many moons ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment