Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Equipment counts

In an earlier post, I reviewed a "free" computer and some problems installing an operating system. The computer is a Gateway E-3200 and the problem I described was not being able to boot from the CD-ROM.

I thought that the 3Com TriROM NIC was preventing the CD-ROM from booting. But it turns out I was wrong. It is not the NIC. It is... the CD-ROM drive! It doesn't work! At least, not enough to read a CD. I borrowed CD reader from another computer and everything works as expected. I installed FreeDOS and attempted Ubuntu. FreeDOS installed without problems but Ubuntu is not happy. Versions 7.10, 8.04, and 8.10 all fail to install. I think Ubuntu fails due to memory; the Gateway has only 128MB RAM, and Ubuntu really wants 256 MB (384MB for some versions).

But FreeDOS works! And it comes with GEM! (Remember GEM? Not the TV/toy/doll but the graphics environment for DOS.) The performance is quite good, even on the old Gateway E-3200. It may be worth investigating.

I have a supply for cheap CD drives. And memory should be obtainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment