Thursday, March 19, 2009

The first billable hour

I created a web site on Google today. They have a free web site hosting arrangement. Now, nothing is really free, so I figure they must fund it with advertisements somehow. I created it to see the capabilities of Google.

Creating it took a bit more than I expected. The site must have a name, and the first names that I picked were already taken. I was a little surprised to find "Engineer of the Future" occupied, and my second guess of "FutureSoftware" was also used. I settled on "CorridorProgrammer", referring to the Northeast corridor.

I had no time to put content on the page, so right now it is rather blank. I think a short biography would be in order, and a description of how I can help people.

I also had an interesting thought today: At some point, I must have my first billable hour. The idea has been in my head for a while; today it came forward and said "pay attention to me". It means that I don't necessarily want a job (although that would be nice) but I do want an assignment. It doesn't have to be a large one. It could be a small one, such as "set up a PC" or "convert data into a different format".

I've set up a goal for my first billable hour: Fund the purchase of memory for //grendel, the Gateway "free" PC that is currently running FreeDOS. I might be able to install Ubuntu Linux if I install more memory in it. If I can get an assignment, and get paid, I can afford the memory. That's my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment