Thursday, March 26, 2009

I set up an FTP server on //grendel (the free Gateway E-3200 I found on the sidewalk). The FTP server is in the default configuration, which allows for anonymous read-only access. I'm not sure where it stores files, though. I need to read up on the configuration of FTP servers.

A recruiter called yesterday, or a person claiming to be a recruiter. She left a message on my answering machine, and the message was a bit vague. Normally, recruiters leave a message along the lines of "Hi, my name is X and I am a recruiter with ABC corporation. I saw your resume and thought you might be a good fit for some of our positions. If you're interested, please call me at 999-999-9999. I've also sent you an e-mail." But this person's message was somewhat shorter: a name, the claim that the was a recruiter, and a phone number. There was no corresponding e-mail. And the message did not have the cheeriness of confidence that they always have. A quick search on the internet (the phone number was enough) provided an explanation: the person is a salesperson for an insurance company, apparently looking to expand her network of agents. I moved on to other things.

I've been a little lax of late, getting up later and leaving "work" early (at 4:30). This reduces time for my work. I changed that by getting up earlier today (at 7:00 and not 8:00) and planning to leave at 5:00 and not 4:30. Which gives me more time to focus on important tasks.

Speaking of important tasks, I am dividing my time into several categories. Most are related to the job search, and some are personal. They are:

 - Job search (job boards, resume)

 - Networking (meeting people, Linked-In, lunch with friends)

 - Assignment search (finding short-term work)

 - New tech (programming in Ruby, setting up servers, creating web pages)

 - Finances (paying the bills, filing taxes)

 - Pursuing the dream (creating the software x-ray machine)

I don't need to do each of these every day, but I want to keep them in mind every day. They are the elements of my new routine, which is something that I will work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment