Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I did a number of things today.

I went back to the ACM web site and touched up my resume. Not content changes, but formatting and grouping changes. It takes a little while to get used to their new input formats.

I added search agents to the CrunchBoard jobs, and ran into their limit of five search agents. I'm not sure how to handle this limit. I want to search for jobs in several cities: Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Hoboken, Portland, San Francisco, Boston, and maybe Richmond. CrunchBoard limits one to five agents, and each agent has a specified location. So I can pick five of the locations, but no more. (Unless I resort to changing job agents during the week, setting up one for Monday, then changing its location and time later in the week, and then changing it back. That seems more work than its worth.)

I talked with a recruiter at ACI today. It is interesting to see the variety in the techniques and skills of the different recruiting companies. ACI accepted my resume, asked me a few questions (which were focussed on the requirements for a specific position that they had available), and did little else. Other agencies have asked me about my career goals and met with me personally prior to referring me to a potential client. Some have arranged for rigorous skills tests.

Lunch was with some former co-workers. It was good to get out of the apartment and talk with people. I think that walking to the light rail, sitting in the sun, and talking with people is theraputic.

I registered for a general meeting with the local "technology council". Their purpose is to help new technical businesses make connections in the area. Their immediate meeting on Thursday was full and I had to settle for their next "get to know us" meeting in April.

I also installed SuSE 9.2 Linux on //grendel, the Gateway E-3200 free computer that I found on the sidewalk. The installation went well, although the initial video mode pushed my VGA/XGA monitor beyond its limits. I had to crank the resolution down a notch, and also define the network card. My plans are to install an LDAP server on it, and maybe some other servers, including e-mail, FTP, and web.

No comments:

Post a Comment