Thursday, February 19, 2009

While contemplating my future, I keep up with networking activities and searches for local opportunities.

A placement/head-hunter/recruiter provided some possible situation for me. One of the companies has a questionnaire for applicants. It is an interesting set of questions, with a good mix of essays and technical questions. The list includes questions like:

"How did you learn programming and why did you stick with it?"

"Describe one of your projects that was enjoyable."

"Make improvements to the following code:", with a simple but improvement-rich set of code.

This was not a simple, five-minute test. I had to think about the essay questions, and then I wrote several draft answers before committing to a final response. For the coding exercises, I dusted off the C and C++ compilers and set up some development environments. The hiring company wanted me to generate some test cases, to demonstrate familiarity with test-driven development. For me, that was simple, since I used test-driven development techniques on projects back at UPS. (And I like test-driven development, because I can work faster and with greater confidence.)

I've also had lunch meetings with friends and former co-workers.  In friend is using Google Jobs, his woodworking hobby, and his photography hobby to supplement his income.

And when I can, I've been reading Breaking Windows, an expose on Microsoft and their ability to transition to Internet technologies. It's fairly fast reading, and it fills in the gaps of my schedule nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment