Thursday, February 26, 2009

Distraction

My previous post listed the technologies of my interest. After downloading files and configuring environments, I could work with any of them.

And for the past two days, I have been working on... none of them!

Instead, I have been working on a new PC. I should say a new old PC, since the PC is used and a hand-me-down. My goal is to install Linux on this PC. That goal is more elusive than one might think. While the PC is fairly standard (a Gateway E3200 from 1999 with a Pentium II processor, 128 MB RAM, 8 GB disk, CD-ROM, VGA, floppy disk, two serial ports, one parallel port, and a built-in NIC), it won't boot a CD-ROM. The built-in NIC from 3Com has something called "TriROM" which lets the PC boot from the network. Apparently this was a spiffy new feature back then.

The 3Com TriROM injects itself into the power-up routine, and allows for booting from the network or the local hard drive, but notfrom a CD-ROM.

Sometimes I learn good things by following my nose. This is one of those cases.

This challenge has let me learn about boot manager programs and open-source projects. I found the "Smart Boot Manager" program, which lets you insert a floppy and boot anything. (Oddly, it fails with error code "AA".) I downloaded the source code for SBM and poked around. This is my first foray into the open source world. I may try builind the project later, after I configure my hardware a bit more. (The Gateway E3200 has no monitor or keyboard, and I have no way to share my current equipment.)

So I don't think distractions are always bad. They can lead us to new knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment