Thursday, February 12, 2009

Contemplation

I had lunch with Tom, a former co-worker today. It was a good lunch with discussions about my thoughts on starting this venture and the culture of the company. We had a little bit of "things are not the way they used to be" in the conversation, but most of our talk was looking to the future.

One question that I have been contemplating is: What do I want to do?

My usual tongue-in-cheek answer is: "Sit on the beach, watch the palm trees sway in the breeze, and get paid a fabulous amount of money for it".

Going beyond the humorous answer, the question is a good one, and deserves an answer.

What do I want to do? Or, what role do I see myself playing? Do I want to work at a large company? A small one? As an employee? As a contractor?

After my tenure as a full-time employee, the idea of being a contractor has its appeal. I'm sure that there are good and bad things about it, but right now, that grass seems much greener.

I know that I want to work with open source tools. I know that I am interested in source code metrics, analytics, and visualization. Finding specific opportunities in those areas is hard: the typical search sites, when they have hits for those terms, use them differently.

I am not going to answer these questions immediately. I need to think about them and discuss them with others. (Which is what I have started to do.) As I identify ideas I note them. I have taken to carrying a notepad (the paper variety) with me, for just such a purpose. A bit twentieth-century perhaps, but still effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment