Thursday, February 5, 2009

Subversion success

I have Subversion working and tracking changes I am making. It was easier that I expected; I guess I am used to the big systems like PVCS and SourceSafe. Or maybe my experience with those systems made this one easier to learn.

I don't know that I have the directories quite right. I have to specify the 'nocomment' directory in my svn commands. (I have to say 'svn status nocomment' and I want to say 'svn status'.) Maybe this is a result of my initial import. Fortunately, this repository is a complete throw-away and I can remove the entire repository and set if up again.

I met with a local recruiter this afternoon, one recommended by my friend Larry from UPS. She had a number of good ideas and quite a few good comments about my resume. I can make several changes that will organize information and present it in a better format.

For my 'nocomment' project, written in Ruby, I got some sample C and C++ code from SourceForge and ran it through my program. I set up data files and expected results for each file, and my program passed all tests. So I think I know enough Ruby to write a small filter program. I'm using a bash script to run the tests, and it is now big enough that I may want to break that into multiple scripts, or maybe condense common code into a subscript. Or maybe write a program in Ruby to handle the testing. I wrote a similar program in Perl back at UPS, and it was very helpful in developing programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment