Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Modest success with Ruby on Rails

I have solved the problem with Ruby on Rails. As I suspected, it was a rights issue with the database. I'm using the administrator account for database access right now. It isn't the solution that I want, but it is sufficient for my needs.

I took competency tests for C++ and C# today, for one of the contracting firms. My, this was a humbling experience. The C++ was heavily weighted towards templates, STL, and exceptions which are all areas that I know slightly. The C# test wanted to know about exceptions, delegates, and conversions, which are all tricky areas. Each question has a three-minute timer on it, which means you either know the topic well or you don't. I'm afraid I don't know the topics that well. (I am familiar with the topics, but I don't know them that well. My answers would require research and perhaps some experiments.)

I started setting up Subversion for tracking changes to my local projects, and I started a local project in Ruby. I'm working on the 'uncomment' program, which may turn into several programs. The semantics for C comments are different enough from Visual Basic, and those are different enough from Perl, to possibly warrant individual programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment