Friday, July 30, 2010

What is a PS/2?

I assembled the pieces of my latest found PC tonight. I found the PC (a Dell GX280) a few weeks ago, without memory or disk. I ordered the missing items including the special drive mounting rails. They all arrived prior to my trip to OSCON, but I did not have time to work on it until now.

Things went together, although not smoothly. The drive rails have these little rubber guards on them, and you have to press hard to screw in the mounting screws. The drive itself had a few issues sliding into the bay.

The memory went in with no problems.

I even had a spare KVM cable set and open port on my PS/2 KVM switch. I plugged in the video and then tried to attach the keyboard cable.

There is no keyboard port on a GX280. More specifically, the Dell GX280 has no PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports. I guess everything was attached through USB ports. I'll need to acquire the necessary adapters.

Hooking up a temporary USB keyboard and mouse, the unit refuses to boot the SuSE Linux DVD. It boots the Ubuntu Linux CD. I'll check the drive; it might be a CD reader and not a DVD reader. (Do I have a spare DVD reader?)

So close. A little more work, and I will be ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment