Sunday, July 11, 2010

The $100 PC -- part 1

Last week, I found an abandoned Dell GX280 PC. It was in the "giving place", that small area in my apartment building behind the elevators which holds junk and items to be thrown into the local landfill.

The PC was in pretty good shape. The case had a few scuffs but overall the case and components showed no signs of abuse. The previous owner had removed the hard drive and memory, but had left the CD drive, the floppy drive, and the CPU and fan assembly.

I can use this PC. I can install Linux and use it as a server, hosting a database, version control, and things for Ruby on Rails.

The PC was free (it was in the giving place, after all). The missing components (memory, hard disc, and rails to mount the hard disc) cost just about $100. I ordered them yesterday, using the power of the internet. They should arrive later this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment