Monday, July 19, 2010

OSCON 2010 day 1

I attended two sessions today. Today's sessions are the longer tutorial format, so we get only two (unless we jump out of one and into another).

The first was "QA in PHP", which covered a lot of quality concepts. It included testing (automated testing, since OSCON is a conference on modern techniques) and more. Beyond testing, the speaker covered code complexity (from lines of code to complexity). I was impressed with the number of tools (and the variety of tools) available for PHP programs.

The second session was "Moose is Perl", which covered the object-oriented extensions for Perl 5. The package allows for mixins (like in Ruby) to provide multiple and targeted inheritance. I've stayed away from O-O programming in Perl because the techniques I've seen are ugly. Moose makes things palatable -- at least to my mind.

I've also had a number of good conversations. They started at breakfast, continued during the morning break, then at lunch, and at the afternoon break. It may seem I talk with people only while eating, but that's when we're not in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment