Sunday, August 1, 2010

The PC puzzle

I assembled the parts to my found PC. This is the Dell GX280 that I found a few weeks ago. It had no memory and no hard disc but was in good shape -- no signs of abuse. After installing all of the parts (which went without problems), I tried to attach it to my KVM infrastructure. I use KVM switches to reduce the number of keyboards and monitors.

The GX280 has no PS/2 ports. Apparently it was an all-USB machine. My KVM infrastructure is based on VGA and PS/2, so now I need a few more adapters. I ordered them today, after not finding them at the local Radio Shack.

In other news, I dropped a few bookmarks. The big one was InformationWeek. I had it in my "weekly favorites" list, something to read once a week. I have a number of web sites there, and I use them to keep up with current events in tech. I dropped InformationWeek since I've been unimpressed (and uninterested) in their stories. Not just this past week, but for the past several months. I get news from other sites, and Information Week not only didn't have repeats of the stories from other web sites, their stories were boring and irrelevant. Such is the fate of some web sites.


No comments:

Post a Comment