Saturday, June 26, 2010

Some things go and some things come

It may be late for spring cleaning, yet I find that it is time to let some things go and bring some new things in.

I let go of an old IBM Thinkpad T21 laptop this morning. It had several problems: would not run later versions of Ubuntu, display did not always work, and sometimes would not turn on.

I'm also letting my subscriptions to "Fast Company" and "Wired" expire. In the past, I have been a big fan of both magazines, yet now I find that they are ... boring. I have read the recent issues and find very little of interest. While the subscription rates are low, the signal-to-noise ratio is also low, and I would rather spend my time reading other things.

New arrivals include Windows 7, which I ordered today. I have been playing with the evaluation copy and that one has expired. I ordered a "real" copy from TigerDirect this morning at an appealing price -- less than their special price of a few months ago.

Other arrivals include a pair of hard discs and a flopy drive I found in the "giving place" of my apartment building. There was a PC carcass with no memory and no cover, but the drives were present. I popped them out easily. One is a 40 GB drive and the other 320 GB. I will add the larger drive to my //delwood server and use it to store music files.


No comments:

Post a Comment