Sunday, December 11, 2011

Success with web stuff

Success this week, with web pages and web servers. I successfully composed a web page for my friend, and successfully installed the Apache web server to serve up the web page.

This is not new for me; I have installed Apache before and created web pages before. But no web site is quite like another (perhaps they are snowflakes) and this project had its interesting aspects. First, I used CSS for a lot of the formatting. (And it worked quite well.) Second, I used port forwarding to make the web site visible to my friend. (Before, I was using web pages within the intranet.)

Web "programming" -- I suppose a better term might be "composing" -- and administration is quite different from the traditional desktop programming. Yet possible, with the right resources. I used a number of resources this weekend, mostly O'Reilly books and Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment