Monday, December 26, 2011

Git for version control

I successfully installed and used "git" tonight. (I'm working on a set of web pages for a friend, and I need version control.)

Wow, git makes version control easy. I'm used to the old, heavyweight version control systems (PVCS, SourceSafe, TFS) which require an elaborate install and a more elaborate configuration before one can even begin to use them. I installed git in less than a minute (mostly due to the package manager in Linux) and configured it for my project in less than ten seconds (the one command is "git init" -- with no options or questions).

My old saying was "if your version control system isn't giving you heartburn, you're either doing it wrong or you don't understand version control". With git, I can discard that saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment