Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wireless internet

After a bit of thought, I committed to wireless internet with Clearwire. I'm pleased with the result. I have a faster internet connection and with no fuss!

Clearwire uses a network of transmitters throughout the area. Instead of running a wire to your home and supplying you with a "modem", Clearwire broadcasts the signal and supplies you with a "modem". (The modems are really routers.) The wireless router plugs in to your home network (or your sole PC) and you can start using it without any configuration. For those who are network admins, you *can* program the router for a specific subnet, for serving DHCP, and for port forwarding.

I still have the DSL internet service. I may keep it as a backup service, or I may keep it for the one client that insists on "no wireless".

No comments:

Post a Comment