Saturday, January 8, 2011

Because learning never stops

I'm planning to attend four conferences this year: three for software and one for science fiction.

The software conferences are: OSCON, Open Source Bridge, and the Central PA Open Source conference. The science fiction con is BaltiCon, and it is more of a writer's convention than science fiction convention.

I've looked at the costs, and I think that I can swing all of these. Of course, I plan to use my tricks for minimizing the cost of conferences. Those tricks are:

- Plan ahead
- Register early (and get reduced, early-bird rates)
- Use 'alumni' discounts, if available (O'Reilly conferences usually offer them)
- Book travel early (and get reduced fares)
- Use public transit (to avoid car rental and parking fees)

OSCON is in July, OSB is in June, CPOSC is in October, and BaltiCon is at the end of May.

Why attend conferences? Three reasons:

- Learn new things (or at least learn that there are new things)
- Get away from the daily routine
- Meet smart, interesting people

Learning never stops. We can always learn, always do something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment