Saturday, January 15, 2011

PCs and networks

I attempted to install Linux on the old IBM A20p Thinkpad today. Several times. I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and SuSE. Each of them failed. During one re-start, the PC displayed the message "Extended ROM failure" with some additional diagnostics. This is bad. The extended ROM is a ROM BIOS thing, not a Linux thing or a driver thing. I'm writing the A20p off as unusable. (I'm sorry to see it go. It had a nice keyboard and a fabulous screen. Today's laptops all have the wide -- or short-height -- screens, and the older, taller displays are better for programming.)

I also visited the local store -- CyberGuys -- and checked out replacement laptops. They have a few, but all in the short-height flavor.

While there, I looked into the Clear Wireless ISP. I have been considering them as a replacement for Verizon DSL, and they seem reasonable. They offer faster speed (4-5 Mbps) at a decent price ($45/month). I checked the configuration settings for the router and it will work with my home network.

So if I start Clear, how long do I keep Verizon DSL? Should I keep it as a backup? Or for work in the office? (The office wants no wireless connection.) A little more thought is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment