Monday, October 18, 2010

Hardware fun

I did some hardware work tonight.

I replaced a failing DVD reader on //ophelia (a Dell GX280 that was gifted to me). It came with a CD reader, and I had installed an old used DVD reader. That reader worked for a while, but recently failed. The failure was physical; there was something preventing the drive tray from opening.

A quick stop by the Radio Shack web page got a new DVD reader on its way to me. (Although there was only the one selection for internal DVD readers. I suspect that DVD readers will soon disappear, replaced by USB drives and network connections.)

With the new DVD reader installed, I was able to upgrade the operating system to SuSE 11.3. The upgrade went smoothly, and I like the look of the new KDE desktop.


No comments:

Post a Comment