Thursday, January 14, 2010

Always try something new

I attended the CALUG meeting last night. That is not new; I've been attending them (on and off) for about a year.

What was new is my route to them. Working in WAS and taking the train home means that I get home too late to drive to the meeting. (And I have to drive; they are outside of transit range.) Instead of coming all the way home and driving all the way there -- which involves some back-tracking -- I drove to a train station in the morning and then got off the home-bound train "early" and drive to the meeting.

This works because the meeting is located between BAL and WAS, and driving to a different train station positions me better in the evening. This trick does not work for the BaltoLUG meetings, which are north of BAL and not "on the way". I get no savings for those meetings.

The important thing here is to try something new. Step outside the box.

Or wait for the "Yellow line" to be extended to Columbia, which will let me attend CALUG meetings without driving. But that's several years away.


No comments:

Post a Comment