Wednesday, December 30, 2009

That strange old thing called "Windows"

Apparently, I've been working with Linux more than I realize.

It's not just the little things, like trying to use CTRL-W to close windows (the key sequence used by MS-Windows is CTRL-F4). It's bigger things.

This morning, I came to the office, logged in to Windows, and started MS-Outlook. Outlook refused to run. It provided a dialog with the message "Outlook has had a fatal error" or something to that effect. I and a colleague worked on the problem for about fifteen minutes with no success. Eventually the colleague suggested that I restart Windows.

Restarting Windows is of course the first suggestion offered by most help desks. And it works. (It worked in this morning's case, too.)

I've gotten used to Linux and its ability to run and run and run, for days or weeks or months. So much so that I forgot the number one solution to problems in Windows.

Somehow I don't feel bad about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment