Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A visit by an old problem

I have been visited by an old and long-forgotten friend, like Scrooge.

For me, the friend is a coding problem. Or perhaps I should call it a debugging problem. Or an environment problem. It is the classic problem of "it works in 'debug' mode but not in 'release' mode".

Yep, that's the problem I have. I wrote some code and carefully tested it today. (The code is the 'delete a tree of directories' routine, and I was extra careful when testing it.) The code works -- in the debugger. The code almost works in release mode. It fails to remove the one directory (but removes all the files and subdirectories).

I cannot remember the last visit by this problem. If pressed, I would guess sometime in 1997, but I can't be sure.

Some things change, and some things don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment