Monday, October 19, 2009

Trains, e-mail servers, and Ruby

This morning I made a test run of the commute into Washington DC. It went smoothly, almost. The train stopped at New Carrollton, held there by dispatchers. (Apparently there was a problem with the catenary.) The primary purpose of the test commute was to ensure that I could wake up and be at the train station on time. The secondary purpose was to train my body for the commute. Having met both goals, I decided to return home rather than be obstinate.

The train rides allowed me time to read up on e-mail servers. I will probably need an e-mail server for the test environment for the video web site project. The book from the CPOSC prize table has just the information that I need. (Or so it seems. I have yet to try any of it.)

I met my former co-workers Larry and Will for lunch. We had half-price hamburgers and good conversation.

This afternoon I sat down with Ruby and the Microsoft OOXML files for Excel. Extracting data from them is possible but not straightforward -- the files are linked and there are pointers from one file to another. It's not impossible, just not simple. Extracting data should be easier than creating new files; I should have started on the extraction side first. Oh well, I'm learning about the files either way.


1 comment: