Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One step at a time

I continue to work with Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Yesterday Apache and PHP played nicely. I didn't make any change to the configuration, things started working "by themselves". The true reason may be that I had shut down Linux over the week-end and started everything up again yesterday morning. Why that would cause the change and not the shut-down and re-start of the Apache server (which I did on Friday) is beyond me.

Now Apache recognizes PHP. I've tested it with a simple PHP page. (Very simple. It is HTML with a single PHP ECHO command in it.)

My next goal is to query a database and retrieve data from MySQL while inside of PHP. To do that I will need a database, and for that I need MySQL running. I set up MySQL yesterday. The installation went smoothly, with a few problems that were easily solved. (Mostly file owner/group settings.)

Today's plans are: add a user to MySQL for the PHP processor, create a database with some data (probably users, user profiles, and favorite music), and change the static content HTML pages to use PHP and retreive data from the database. If I am really ambitious I may try storing photographs in the database.

No comments:

Post a Comment