Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Apache, PHP, and MySQL

I have the trio of Apache, PHP, and MySQL working. My problem was my SQL query. (Amazing what the right syntax will do!) Once corrected the web page came up as expected.

I also set up PHP to run in stand-alone mode (that is, without a web server) on my development computer. An interesting arrangement that gave me insight into the design of PHP and the interface from Apache. PHP is just another scripting language, like Perl or Ruby, and uses the same (or a very similar) object model as Perl and Ruby. That view gives me a better understanding of the workings of PHP, which builds my confidence.

Using PHP in stand-alone mode allows for easier debugging of scripts, too. If one is careful in designing the PHP scripts and puts the major functions in common modules, one should be able to test a majority of an application before installing it on a web server. Testing web applications in the browser is possible, but more work.

In other areas, I found a major grammatical goof in my latest resume. I fixed it immediately, but I had sent that revision to a few prospects. If they notice the goof they will probably think poorly of me. Well, so be it. I'm not perfect; I try to recover with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment