Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ubuntu Server

I installed Ubuntu Server on an old Dell PC this week-end. (This was Saturday's "One Thing a Day" task.)

My first attempt, using a CD burned last year, failed due to errors in the on-disc packages. Writable CDs have a finite shelf life, and my combination of CD burner and CD media (and CD storage techniques) sets that life to something less than a year. I will have to remember that when I use CDs as back-up media.

My second attempt was successful.

I'm pleased that the install CD has the logic to check the integrity of each and every package that it installs. Not only does the install program check as it installs, the main menu has an option to check the entire disc in advance. This is a nice feature and shows the commitment of the Ubuntu team to a quality experience.

The installation of Ubuntu ran pretty much on its own, with a few questions for me: my full name, my account name, and the host name. (And a few questions about keyboard type and timezone.)

After the install, I had more work. I wanted to assign the PC a static IP address; the Ubuntu install configures it for DHCP (easy enough to change in /etc/network/interfaces). I installed the rsync program and configured it to be a server (some research as I am new to rsync and new to xinetd). I still have tests with rsync to run. Yet in the end, it was a good experience.

I now have a PC running Ubuntu server; I plan to server storage from it and keep back-up copies of files.

No comments:

Post a Comment