Friday, March 9, 2012

.NET and Ruby

This week I attended the local CMAP meeting, with its presentation on SQL in Azure. I learned a lot; SQL in Azure is different from SQL in the server room due to the "can move at any time" aspect of cloud computing. The differences are not particularly large, but can be significant (especially if you have built your system around one of the server room idiosyncrasies).

The CMAP meetings are consistently good for networking. They draw a sizable collection of people, and the attendees have varied projects and talent. I always have interesting conversations at them, and this month's meeting was no exception.

Later in the week I worked on my side project of BASIC-1965, an interpreter for BASIC written in Ruby. It's a fun project and a learning experience. Ruby has a different approach to programming, and my Java- and C#-trained brain is making mistakes as a learn "the Ruby way".

No comments:

Post a Comment