Saturday, January 28, 2012

Three years

It was three years ago that I started this part of my journey. I left the comfort of a secure position in a large company and struck out in search of new opportunities. At the time, I knew that it was risky, and that it was either a smart thing to do or a very foolish thing to do.

Looking back, the evidence leans towards the "smart" side. I have acquired a position with a smaller company, and the pay is a little less than before, yet I have met knew people, broadened my view of the technology world, and learned a lot about tech and myself. I am more in touch with the local technology and creative scene. I have a better appreciation for project management and corporate management. I have shed some arrogance and improved my interpersonal skills.

Looking forward, I am positioned for the coming changes in technology. Mobile computing, cloud-based processing, new languages, big data, and user experience will all change the way we build programs. The old ways of project management won't carry us through the changes. (Yet they are not obsolete. The previous techniques for project management are still useful; they are not enough on their own.)

I'm looking forward to the next chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment