Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A group meeting about git

Tonight's CALUG meeting had a presentation on 'git', the version control package. (I am starting to think of software in terms of "packages". Probably an influence of Linux.)

I like git. I find it easy to use. Yet I think it has a ways to go. A few years ago, I would have thought that git (with its GUI tools) was a sufficient product. Today, after the "tablet revolution", I feel differently.

Tablet computers have raised the bar for a typical application. Now I expect that an application installs quickly, configures itself (except for a user ID, password, and possibly an update frequency), and handles everything through a simple graphical interface. (Not the command line, and not a complicated multi-dialog interface.)

I believe that the folks working on git can improve it and make it "first class".

I will point out that other version control systems have similar challenges. Microsoft's TFS has a good user interface, but requires lots of configuration. Subversion and CVS need bolted-on graphic front ends which work -- more or less -- and they also need a lot of configuring.

Someone will figure out version control, really figure it out, and then we will have the "iPod of version control". I think that git is in the best position to achieve that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment